Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Doctrine and Covenants Section 33

Historical Background

Ezra Thayer was a civil engineer. He constructed bridges, dams, and mills in the Palmyra area. He had, in an earlier time, given employment to Joseph Smith, Sr. Speaking of his first attempt to read the Book of Mormon, he wrote:

“I then opened the book, and I received a shock with such exquisite joy that no pen can write and no tongue can express. I shut the book and said, what is the price of it? Fourteen shillings was the reply. I said, I’ll take the book. I opened it again, and felt a double portion of the Spirit, that I did not know whether I was in the world or not. I felt as though I was truly in heaven.” (The Saints Herald, July 1862.) Ezra was 39 years old when this revelation was received. He was originally from Randolph, Vermont; and was married.

Northrup Sweet was a son-in-law of Emer Harris. He had married Emer’s daughter Elnathan Harris. When the revelation was received, Northrup was 28 years old. He was baptized by Parley P. Pratt in the same month that the revelation was received.

D&C 33:1-7 The Field Is White
List the things the Lord says about Himself and the preparations He is making for the harvest of souls. What does the Lord mean when He says “the eleventh hour,” (Cross-reference: Matthew 20:6; remember that in the Bible the expression eleventh hour refers to the time just before sunrise.) “my vineyard,” (Cross-reference: Isaiah 5:7.) “every whit,” (The word whit means the smallest possible part.) “called forth out of the wilderness”? (Cross-reference: Revelation 12:1-6; see also JST Revelation 12:1-6.)

D&C 33:8-13 Open Your Mouths
The Lord uses the phrase “open your mouths” three times in these verses. What are missionaries supposed to say when they open their mouths? What are the blessings that will come to those who do open their mouths?

D&C 33:14-18 Things to Remember
What are the specific things that missionaries are supposed to remember as they preach the gospel? What role do the scriptures play in missionary work? What does the Lord mean when he tells missionaries to have their “lamps trimmed and burning”? Cross-reference: Matthew 25:1-13.

No comments: