Friday, July 24, 2009

Doctrine and Covenants Section 79

Historical Background

This revelation is a mission call for Jared Carter. When Brother Carter received this call, he was 31 years old and had been married for four and a half years. In his journal for the 12th of March, 1832, he wrote, “I at length went to Hiram [Ohio] to the Seer, to enquire [after] the will of the Lord concerning my ministry the ensuing season. And the word of the Lord came forth that showed that it was His will that I should go forth to the Eastern countries, in theh power of the ordinance wherewith I had been ordained, which was [pertaining] to the high privilege of administering in the name of Jesus Christ; even to seal on earth, and to build up the Church of Christ, and to work miracles in the name of Christ. . . . Now I have received a revelation of the will of the Lord to me, by the mouth of Joseph the Seer, that I should not only preach the gospel from place to place, but from city to city” (Journal of Jared Carter, date mentioned, Church archives).

Jared Carter returned from his mission in October. He noted in his journal: “I have been gone 6 months and 2 days. The Lord permitted me to administer the gospel to 79 souls, . . .” Later, in that same entry, he added, “All that have been baptized while I have been in the regions where I have been in this mission is 98, and many others have been convinced of the word that sooner or later I think will obey the work” (Jared Carter journal; spelling and grammar in both quotations has been modernized).

D&C 79:1 From Place to Place, and from City to City

What is the difference between going from “place to place,” and going from “city to city?” Why would the everlasting gospel represent “glad tidings of great joy?”

D&C 79:2-4 A Crown of Sheaves

How will Jared Carter know what to preach and where to go? What are sheaves? What does the Lord mean when he says Jared will be crowned with sheaves? Why would this message from the Lord cause Jared’s heart to be glad?

No comments: