Historical Background
A conference of the church was held in Orange, Ohio, on October 25, 1831. The purpose of the meeting was to ordain several brethren to various priesthood offices. Sixteen of these men, including William E. McLellan, were ordained high priests. This was the first time William had met the Prophet Joseph. Of this experience he wrote:
“On the 25th Oct. I attended a conference. General peace and harmony pervaded the conference and much instruction to me. From thence I went home with Jos. [Joseph Smith] and lived with him about three weeks; and from my acquaintance then until now I can truly say I believe him to be a man of God. A Prophet, a Seer, and Revelator to the church of Christ” (Letter to Samuel McLellan dated 4 August 1832 in Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Library/Archives; Independence, Missouri. The RLDS Church is known today as the Community of Christ.)
D&C 66:1-3 You Are Clean; But Not All
The Lord declares that Brother McLellan is a “blessed” person. Why is he blessed and what must he do to retain that standing with the Lord?
D&C 66:4-13 It Is My Will
What specific direction did the Lord give Brother McLellan? What promises did the Lord make to him if he would be faithful? How is this revelation similar to the instructions and promises made to missionaries today? How would you feel about a mission if these were had been spoken to you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment